Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Another 12 SVP


 We only have 2 official family rules in our house.  

The first one was chosen even before we were married.  Eric and I had been engaged  a few months and we were sleeping over at my sister’s house.  Kelly, my awesome sister, heard the tell-tell sounds of a grand mal seizure coming from the room were I was sleeping.  Eric was sleeping some where else, and Kelly had someone fetch him so that he could see the whole ugliness of my dumb disease.  And it was ugly.  I was ugly.  I threw up, chewed my tongue, and I didn’t recognize him.  About a dozen times I whispered to my sister, asking who the fella sitting next to me was.  It wasn't pretty.  I think he cried.  Later, when I was more coherent, he mentioned to me that he thought an appropriate family rule would be: In our family we don’t have seizures. 
It’s been 12 years, and there has been some hum-dinger reactions, but the rule has never been broken.

Our 2nd family rule has been broken, several time.  It is: We don't kick dad in the nads.  This particular rule has only been in effect for about 7 years...cause that's how old Isaac is.  We have been married for almost 12 years and have had the pleasure of 3 darling children.  I think Eric makes CUTE babies, I mean the CUTEST babies ever, in all existence.  It wasn’t part of his eligible bachelor curriculum vitae, but it could have been one of his best selling points.  He has lots of best selling points:
He packs the car whenever we go on road trips. 
He empties the trash.  
He gets our boys ready for church. 
He brushes teeth, changes diapers, and gives baths. 
He fetches my glucometer from downstairs at night when I have forgotten it.
He calls MY mom
He is generous, money isn’t what matters most, people matter most
He is a missionary advocate and says things like, “I think we should do whatever we can to help the missionaries.” 
He buys me red, white, and blue flowers on the 4th of July. 
He picks the YSA up at the metro every weeks and brings them to our house for FHE. 
He reminds us daily to have family and couple prayer. 
He plans awesome family trips, and takes us to the beach, Disney, and Denmark to name a few. 
He cooks dinner. 
He goes grocery shopping. 
He rubs my shoulders while I am at the kitchen sink. 
He fills the car up with gas.
He makes me giggle, and is my favorite person with whom to share inside jokes.

He is the whole package.  I like 'im.  In 8 days we will be celebrating our 12th  anniversary, an even dozen folks.  I'll take another 12 please, the whole package deal, s'il vous plait.



3 comments:

Molly said...

This is not Molly but Molly's mom. You know that Kelly girl you mentioned. I totally agree that he is the whole package tied with pretty ribbon just to make you happy. I am so thankful that his prayers and my prayers easily overrode your prayers!! Hear Hear for 12 years!! Love you both!!

Unknown said...

I love reading your posts!! It's hard to believe that you have 12 years in! I still remember you on Harris Street at Angela's when Kari would be there.
And, just for your information...hold on to him! Not many men love their ladies like he loves his!!

karen louise said...

I have been blogless and helpless at following blogs for a couple of years now. It's time to get back into it and keep in touch with your life better! I love you Jenny Beth, and I love Eric for choosing you. He is good people. :) Love you!