Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Give 'em your best

Isaac's best friend, Nathan, is moving to North Carolina. I am not sure if he really gets it but he gets how to be a best friend. Nathan's mom was coming over to our house for a tea party and Isaac was going to go to Nathan's and play there (with Nathan's dad).

As we were getting ready, Isaac hollered from his room, "Mama, I wanna give Nathan this." When I went in, I noticed Isaac holding our big fire engine. Uh, it was a used toy. First I had to battle with my pride. I tried to talk him out of it. Seth really loves it and their mommy doesn't mind playing with this particular toy either. Second I had to battle with selfishness. I really dont want to give it away. I really tried to talk him out of it. We cant get another one. So I just ask straight up "Why do you want to give that truck to Nathan?" "Cause he likes it."

Sometimes I get a true glimpse at who Isaac really is. He is generous and observant. I realize that this is the toy Nathan ALWAYS plays with when he comes over to our house, his favorite.

My mom makes homemade bread. Once, when we were talking over the phone about some finer points of the recipe she said, "Then wrap up your best, prettiest loaf and give it away."

So Isaac gave Nathan his best fire engine, and taught his mom a life lesson.

7 comments:

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

What a wonderful boy! I got teary eyed reading that post. I'm so excited to come share time with you all in two weeks.

JaNae said...

Ahhh! Too cute.

Gaylene said...

He is so sweet--I am crying while reading this!

michelle keisel said...

That is awesome!

The Thackers said...

So cute and so sweet.

karen louise said...

Sooo cute. I love that Isaac teaches you things...and that he teaches me things too.... :D