Tuesday, March 11, 2008

London Bridges...

(Note: pictures are taking ten minutes to down load-I'll fix thix this post tonight...maybe)

Eric had a business trip in London, and I joined him for 4 days. While we were away Isaac made himself at home in Kelly's pantry and took Cheerios and crackers at his leisure. Mostly he pal-ed around with his good buddy Hannah. Isaac LOVES the George kiddos.

Wednesday morning Eric met me at the airport (appropriate English accent usage here) he's a good bloke. We watched the changing of the horse guards. A proud Scottish dad pointed out his son, and also schooled me on the color of the horses. The trumpeter is always on a white horse, just so you know.
Afterwards, Eric and I walked around parliament and Big Ben (not the burger joint) where a pro referendum to the EU constitution was taking place. I was interested; E couldn't have cared less, so we walked past Westminster Abbey towards the Thames River. Daffodils were out and it was (appropriate English accent usage here) brilliant. E went to work and I went to bed. That evening I crossed the Golden Jubilee Bridge and saw some BRIGHT flood lights. After inquiring what was happening, I learned they were filming a popular British show. As I was watching I felt a couple hands reach around me and give me a warm embrace. I thought, "Yea, Eric has found me!" but when I turned around it was a much shorter, long-dark-haired, female version of Eric. Thanks for the hug, random lady. When I finished watching I followed a group of four women who were commenting on the size of the blonde leading lady of the show. Here is part of the exchange as I heard it:
"She's qoo-ooyte a bit smoo-la in life, e-zunt shae?" (If you say that exactly as I wrote it, you should pass a decent accent.)
"But thy sigh the-t dount thy. Thit the teli poots a stow-n own ya?"

Eric worked on Thursday and I went to see a mission companion who married a charming Englishman and lives in Canterbury, Amber Holley White. She has a darling little boy named Asher. She got a master's degree, ran a marathon, and got her scubba diving certificate and traveled most of Europe since I last heard of her. I, on the other hand, had merely gained 30 lbs. since our last parting. If I ever go back to England I will spend a whole day in Canterbury.

Dunking was a form of punishment usually reserved for supposed witches. Remember Monte Python and the Holy Grail...drowning the woman to prove she WASN'T a witch. On being dunked in a river, if the poor woman swam, she was a witch; if she wasn't, she drowned. The classic no-win situation!

Friday, Eric and I walked around a bit and I showed him were I took a "short" cut that added an extra hour to my route back to the hotel. We had a pleasant dinner and walked around Trafalgar Square.

Saturday, we walked over to London Eye but it was MEGA crowded. Then we went to the London Bridge, quite literally. I thought the Tower Bridge was London Bridge. Anyway we got a wee bit lost, but enjoyed our walk along the Thames on the Queen's path. We went to the Tower of London and waited in line for awhile before deciding to leave. We went to lunch in China Town and then went to Spamalot, much merriment ensued. After the show we went back to the London Eye and paid $35 per ticket for the London Eye. It felt like we had more than one hole in our pocket. We both decided the best part was just being together. (Sappy and happy)
E&J on the Queens walk near the Tower bridge
E at the Tower of London J-on the London Eye

1 comment:

Ben & Carly said...

Thank you for the trip around London! I needed to get out of the house! You did an amazing job of capturing the experience, thank you for blogging I love to hear and see what you guys are up to. Ben and I always say that when we grow up and get out of school we want to be like you and Eric, for now we enjoy hearing about your exciting life! Just promise to let us tag along one day! I am thinking about you, you are in my prayers and I am excited for you to have another little one. I wish I was closer to help you. Your little Issac is so stinkin adorable, and you and Eric are very photogeneic, that is a gift few people have! love carly