I have asked Isaac probably 10 times if he wants to "go in the potty." We have had several preliminary success moments in the bathroom. I think he is ready but he always says "NO Fank You!" Today I didn't ask. It is nap time and so far we are batting 1000. Of course it wont be this easy, so I have to write while things are still perfect, er close to perfect.
Anna's (my BFF) nephews were all potty trained by taking off their diapers and letting them run free. I refrained for a while but then Isaac's friend Nathan has just hit the golden potty trained marker the same way, so I thought I would give it a go.
Obstacle #1, Isaac ran around without a diaper for awhile then I came in and he had put on some pants all by himself. Good job, Isaac for getting dressed on your own. Who cares if they were your PJs. Sorta defeats the run free and easy theory for PTing, but oh well.
Obstacle #2, Isaac wanted to watch his beloved Dora. I gave him a thumbs up as soon as he did his his number on the toilet. He would sit on the porcelain thrown but that is ALL he did, sit there. So the books say demonstrate..mm...well...ok. I demonstrated and then rewarded myself with a cool capsule surprise. Isaac was sold (thanks Caroline). You put the capsule in water, it dissolves and you get a little spongy animal. Very cool for three reasons:
1-Motivation to use the loo
2-Observation of the shapes, and identification of the sponge's shape (ie. is it a dinosaur? giraffe? etc)
3-Utilization of fine motor skills to use a pen to cross off the animal on the back of the package
So anyway, we have our lesson and a few minutes later I hear a flush and Isaac runs in to find me, "I did it!" Huh? I don't believe him because I wasn't there to help. Why was I such a nay sayer? Sure enough, he did it! Evidence was "spotted." All by himself! Wha-hoo!
He went again before his nap. So far, so great.
PS please don't rain on my parade by telling me it wont last.
5 weeks ago

3 comments:
Go Isaac!!! Hurray for you Jenny! By the way, I love your family picture up top! What a cute family!
Yay Isaac! Please come to our house and get Ashlynne going, would you? she is jusst about ready--but new baby set her back a little in the jealousy and minding department. Happy to see you're back up and running on hte blog!!!
Well color me jealous. You wanna come over here and potty train Donovan while you're at it? He's officially three, and I'm officially embarrassed.
Post a Comment