Pure and simple are the adjectives I would use to describe the Amish people. I am quite taken with them. This was my 5th or 6th visit and I will go back again. I am transfixed with the Amish culture.
Amish people are fascinating. I try and ride a carriage every time I go, not for the ride, but for a chance to talk to the driver. I have had a ride from an Amish gentleman, a young man whose grandparents and extended family were all Amish, and this last visit was with Lydia, a ex-Amish of about two years. She was better than google, I tell you. I learned that we are in Amish marriage season which runs from October-November. Tuesday and Thursdays are the only days they get married so that there is a day between weddings for everyone to help get ready for one wedding and clean-up the other for the week. Lydia was called on by the Elders, or Amish bishops, to come to church to repent for doing a bible study with her parents who had left the church a few months previous. She didn't go, so she was served with another request and also didn't show up. It was sort of her way of severing ties, and she was then excommunicated. She said as soon as her parents left the church her brother hooked them up with electricity. They stopped wearing full Amish clothes, and could wear what they liked, but her hair was still put in a bun and she was wearing a dress. I got the feeling that they still follow many Amish traditions. It was fascinating to talk with her. Usually Amish fold are baptized at 17 or 18 after they take a summer of studying. And in each district they only get baptized once a year. Full recommendations if you happen to be going to Lancaster county.
.
We started out in Hersey, PA. Last time I was there the whole town smelled like chocolate. I loved the Hersey kiss lamp posts
The whole reason we went was to meet up with my dear friend Joyce. We have been friends since highschool. I love her heart, she is so good and I want to be good when I am with her.
These last two pictures are my favorite. We were there on a Jewish holiday. It was an interesting mix of cultures, Amish and Jewish. The women in both groups wore modest dresses. They are both a bit of a mystery as they don't actively seek converts. They are both reserved, if you will. Neither groups like to have their picture taken, or at least the Orthodox Jews and "Orthodox" Amish don't. Hmm...interesting comparisons.

5 comments:
I loved reading up on your blog!!!! I have missed hearing about your little life there and seeing your cute face, Jenny Beth. How fun that your mom was there to visit on her 68th bday. Our parents are the same age! My mom and dad are turning 68 this year too :) Didn't realize that!!!
I think your two boys have got to be the cutest things on earth and I love them to pieces, pieces I tell you!!!!!!! Wish I could see them now!!
Jenny--nice to see you are somewhat back in the blog world! then three all at once! Wow. I so loved Amish country when we went back there about three years ago! I would go back again and spend several more days---rather than just a few hours. Maybe someday we will get back there and VIsit!
First of all, LOVE your family photo! SO HANDSOME:) I am glad you updated so much at once.....and I really miss you and your mom! Looks like you're all doing good, your little boys are adorable..and you're hair is fantastic:D
love ya........
Per chance was the last time you were in Hershey and it smelled like chocolate (because that is what I remember most) happen to be the time you and I got lost-which happens to be what I remember second most?
Post a Comment