Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Why don't you ask Him?

I was just in the hall closet and I heard Isaac say, "Seff, what's the best fing you ever ever had?" The little gents where in bed.

Earlier Seth had chosen a little stuffed Mickey Mouse doll that technically belongs to Isaac, though he rarely ever plays with it. So when I heard Isaac's question I thought he was trying to manipulate Seth into giving him the Mickey. I interjected,"Isaac that's not your favorite thing."

I went to talk with him and teach him...again, that brothers matter most. Or that is what I thought I was doing.

I sat on the side of his bed and before I got a word out, Isaac pipped up, "My favorite fing I ever had was Seffy." I looked down and the stuffed animals where already at the end of the bed.

Wise Isaac.

Brothers.

I should have stayed in the hall and just listened.


Earlier in the day, we had planned on meeting a couple of our friends at the marine museam. I couldn't find my license. Anywhere. I have been warned a dozen times that "the next time" I came through the front gate without it, I would get a ticket. Ugh. So I did the responsible thing and called my friend to say I probably wasn't going to make it, but we would keep looking.

I got off the phone and without missing a beat Isaac said, "Mom, why dont you say a prayer to find it." It wasn't exactly a question, hense the purposeful period. It was more like a reminder. Who is the teacher, eh?

"Good idea, Isaac. Good idea." I got on my knees right there and prayed for help. But the lesson wasn't over. I got up and started looking.

"What did He say?"

"Huh?" I heard what he said but, I wasn't sure if he knew what he was asking. He did.

"What did He say?"

"Well, I feel like I should just keep looking for it." I was pleading a silent prayer in my head that Heavenly Father would, in deed, help me find it and verify to my young son that He does hear our prayers. But Isaac already knew that. He knew it and he raised the faith bar. I was slower and that this was a perfect learning and spiritual experience for my young boy, not his mom.

"Did He tell you where it is?"

"No...I didn't ask Him. I just asked Him to help me find it."

"Why don't you ask Him?"

"Uh...well." In my head I was thinking, "Cause I am afraid He wont tell me directly and that will be bad for your faith prompting experience." Hmm. Who's faith was I questioning anyway?

So I answered, "Cause I dont have enough faith. (shy giggle) I want you to prayer for it."

He didn't hesitate. And that bolstered me. I prayed too. When he finished he said, "I feel in my heart it's in your room." "I feel that way too, Isaac!"

We both went into my room and looked all over. We found it. It ended up being under a stack of papers right outside of my room. My favorite part was that Isaac KNEW what the spirit feels like...I feel in my heart...he knows. And after we found the wallet, we said another prayer of thanks. When I asked him how it made him feel, his smile was contagious. "I know dat was the spirit."

Next time I wont be so hesitant, I will just ask Him.

5 comments:

michelle keisel said...

What a great experience. I could use a lesson in listening and faith, so thank you!

Tolberts in Motion said...

We had the same kind of experience with Logan a couple weeks ago. He had lost his tooth that had fallen out of his mouth earlier in the day. I, too, was praying that his prayer would be answered-so cute.

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

pYep - that little boy is definitely your child! Like mother - like son.

Don't forget...he knows all of this because you taught him!

Muy bien Hermana...muy bien!

Christy said...

Sweet Jenny, You've always known your first born, was a child of faith. His name fits him perfectly. You and Eric didn't name him that by chance. I am so happy you are blogging again. It is a tender mercy to me to know. I love you Betty and of course my Honey Heart. Mom

The Thackers said...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing. Love you!! :-)