I hollered "Get your shoes on. Seth put on your crocs." I holler that often as the gents can put them on themselves and if they get dirty they are easy to clean.
Seth came out with socks AND crocs. Pass. Isaac yelled to me from the bedroom, "I want to wear my Michael Jordan shoes." Ugh. Benjamin was already in his sling on me. It would be hard to bend over, and keep my balance, and tie Isaac's shoe and, keep Benjamin from getting restless.
We tried anyway. I recognized that it wasn't going to be easy. (Get ready for a crazy run on sentence...say it all in one breath..it's written this way on purpose...to elicit sympathy). I had to help pull the shoe on, you know pull the tongue and the back of the shoe simultaneously because Isaac couldnt do it, and then Isaac wanted to tie it himself, but he didnt know how, but he thought he did because he can tie a knot, and he told me over and over "I know how to tie. I dont need your help mom." It was a loosing battle, so I surrendered and kindly said, "Isaac just put on your other shoes [the ones that have velcro]."
"But I want to wear these." I pointed out that he could easily put on his other shoes and we could be off, but he protested. I saw an opportunity to teach my sweet son that he should listen to his mom and be obedient. I wasnt going to help with the difficult shoes, so the choices were he could change shoes OR he could come down in his Jordan shoes with one foot sticking half way out.
"Isaac, Seth and I are going. I hope you come with us." He cried, but didn't relent about the shoes. I was wishing he would just trade the dumb shoes cause I really wanted him with us. But I said what I said and I had to follow through. Seth and I walked, very slowly so Isaac could catch up, but he didnt. ugh. I kept listening to the crying from down the hill. The talk was already being congered about how when I tell him something, there is a reason, not just cause I am mean, yada, yada, yada.
A little while later I saw my boy and I walked to meet him. I noticed his shoes, they were the Jordan shoes, but they didnt have trailing laces. Hmmmm. Some neighbor must have taken pitty and tied them for him.
"Isaac, who helped you with your shoes?"

1 comment:
This is the sweetest! I love those little laces. You are a good mom, Jenny.
Post a Comment